In addition to our specialist areas, we continue to provide comprehensive legal advice to clients on a very broad range of legal issues. Being a full service legal firm, we have detailed experience in the following fields:
- Property development, investment and commercial leasing.
- Dispute resolution.
- Trust Law.
- Maori land.
We advise our clients on a broad range of commercial matters from general contractual issues, investments, sale and purchase agreements to company group structures and taxation issues. In particular we have experience on the following matters:
- Business sales & acquisitions, joint ventures and partnership agreements.
- Supply, distribution contracts and terms and conditions of trade.
- General commercial contracts including licensing agreements, confidentiality agreements, heads of agreement and sales and marketing agreements.
- Shareholder agreements and share sales & purchases.
- Financing, term loan contracts and guarantees.
- Company compliance and directors duties.
- Setting up companies and advising on company constitutions and shareholder structures.
- Consumer Law – Fair Trading Act and Consumer Guarantees Act obligations.
Property development, investment and commercial leasing
We have detailed expertise advising clientele on an extensive range of matters relating to the purchase, development and sale of residential and commercial properties including but not limited to:
- Freehold properties
- Leasehold properties
- Cross leases
- Unit titles (apartments)
- Refinancing for mortgages
- Residential tenancies
- General and enduring powers of attorney, and
- Property Development, Investment and Commercial Leasing
We have extensive experience in the resolution of disputes, in whatever form this make take. Ideally we can assist our clients to reach a sensible, beneficial resolution to a dispute without the need for the commencement of litigation proceedings and we are a member of the Arbitration & Mediation Institute of New Zealand. However should the circumstances require we are able to initiate, conduct and conclude detailed litigation for our clients in whatever forum necessary.
A trust, as part of a properly conceived asset planning structure, can offer creditor protection, potential tax savings, relationship (matrimonial) property protection and rest home subsidy protection. We assist our clients to determine the most appropriate and tax-efficient way to structure their affairs for investment purposes and how to manage and protect their assets.
We have extensive experience acting for a range of Maori Incorporations and Trusts, Maori land owners and people with potential or actual interests in Maori land. We are well versed at working within the Maori Land Court jurisdiction.
We have advised on all matters relevant to the acquisition and management of forest blocks, including:
- Corporate and commercial legal advice (rental and stumpage disputes, transport and other service contracts, , joint ventures and log purchase agreements)
- Property advice (access and roading rights, forestry licences and lease)
- Planning and environmental due diligence
- Obtaining necessary consents from the Overseas Investment Office
- Negotiation and preparation of acquisition, management and log purchase agreements, forestry and cutting rights, and debt and equity funding documentation, and
- Carbon Credit issues.